Friday, December 7, 2012

Why black is still the king of colours (or absence thereof!) in my wardrobe!

    "Black is modest and arrogant at the same time. Black is lazy and easy - but mysterious. But above       all black says this: "I don't bother you - don't bother me."
Yohji Yamamoto (designer)

With the explosion of colour blocking, digital prints and amazing patterns on the fashion scene in the last couple of years, everyone (except the french) seems to be hating on good ol' faithful black!

Now, I enjoy seeing colour around the place as much as any other person.. but that is the thing. I like it around me - on my walls, on my face in makeup form, and on others. I put it on myself and I generally feel... wrong. As someone whose wardrobe consists of 80 % black, 18% greys, white and neutrals and 2% colour - the thought of wearing green pants with a pink top and orange accessories freaks me out a little!

This scares me.
As black is our biggest selling colour at Impulse by a HUGE margin, I know many of you feel the same way about it as I do. Some people will try to make you feel guilty about your penchant for black - the colour crew fears the black, and will try to turn you to the side of the spectrum at every opportunity!! But, as Karl Lagerfeld said "Who can live without some black clothes?" Hear hear, Mr Lagerfeld, I'm sure Ms Chanel would agree!

Here are the reasons why Black is always 'the new black' and will remain my go-to colour forever (and ever).
Black is always sophisticated and sexy, you will never be accused of being too 'garish' or over the top in black.

Black goes with everything, it really does! 

Black is slimming.

Black is easy to keep clean.

Black is non-descript, but with the right styling it can make a much bigger statement than crazy prints or vivid colour. Worn in the right way, black screams confidence. Not 'look at me' confidence, but a deeper, quiet confidence that comes from knowing yourself and loving yourself for who you are. Black doesn't need other people to validate it, it speaks quietly. Its voice is a whisper, not a scream.

If you don't want to think about your outfit, black is your best friend. Black tee, black jeans and black shoes = instant chic. No mistakes, no second thoughts, no walking around all day thinking 'God, I wish I hadn't worn this.' Knowing you have the right outfit on makes such a huge difference to your confidence - I know I just want to shrink into non-existence when I feel like my clothes look terrible, my hair isn't working and my makeup is bland.

Speaking of makeup, black means you can have your hair and makeup any colour you like! Like pink hair? That'll work. Want to wear red lipstick today? Go for it, what a timeless look! Want to be neutral at work and then pump it up with some hot pink lips for dinner? Never fear, black is here!

Same goes for accessories, whatever you like - wear it! Accessories and make up are the ways that I bring colour into my outfits, otherwise I stick to my faithful black, white and neutrals... They love me and I love them... And here are my favourite Black Beauties available at Impulse right now!
Mela Purdie Angel Dip Top $209 - elegant and sexy, yet covers the right bits!

Mela Purdie Drop Front Ruffle Jacket $365 - silky, flowing and classy. Light enough for summer!
These two are the hottest new pieces at Impulse, from our favourite designer Mela Purdie. She knows how to do classic, chic pieces that will last for seasons and seasons, and she knows the Australian woman's body quibbles and our lifestyle. <3 Mela!

Posted by Bec xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment